Using tap water to make baby formula may not be a wise decision given the possible contaminants that can exist in tap water nowadays. In case you are a parent, please read this post in its entirety. I have some valuable information to share with you. Are you mindful of just how vulnerable your baby is?
1. Microbial Threats – Inside the spring of 1993 a microscopic parasite called Cryptosporidium parvum was responsible for over 100 deaths in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It arrived using the city’s water supply since a water treatment plant failed to filter it out. Nowadays stricter regulations help to ensure that our water to drink is monitored and treated efficiently before finding yourself at our taps.
However we should not relax since there still are many waterborne bacteria that also cause illnesses. A list includes nontyphoid Salmonella, pathogenic Escherichia coli and Legionella. All are still very active, Legionella grows vigorously in tepid to warm water, such as in a shower where it can be inhaled with the steam.
2. Lead – Probably the most feared of all contaminants due to the damage it can cause towards the brain. A newly released sampling of tap water in Washington D.C. exposed lead levels 5 times the EPA standard. The lead is most likely ahead from your own household plumbing. This can happen if your house has lead pipes, or copper pipes soldered with lead plus it depends on the age of your dwelling.
In fact the EPA advise that you only use cold water for cooking, drinking and especially for making baby formula. It is because your hot water is more than likely to contain higher concentrations of lead. You are on the greatest risk from any exposure to lead in case you are a young child or if you are pregnant
3. Chlorinated Solvents – Do you use any of the following, drain cleaners, shoe polish, waxes, oven cleaners? These contain chlorinated solvents, they belong to a chemical family which is commonly used in household and industrial processes. In 2006 examples of drinking water in twelve states were examined and ten percent were contaminated with chlorinated solvents.
4. Chemical Contaminants – Through the years we now have produced many synthetic organic chemicals like antibiotics, herbicides, pesticides to name but a few. Most of these find their way into our water supplies through various means, whether from illegal dumping of waste material or through the action of rain water. Once these result in our drinking water they posses a very real threat to our health.
Whenever they do end up in our water supply, according to the authorities these are at “this type of low concentration they do not pose a health risk to consumers.” It may sound very comforting, however I would personally ask have you thought about the long term being exposed to these low concentrations? A small level of pollutant probably would not affect an adult, but what would it do in order to a kid?
5. Chlorine – Chlorine has been used in our water supply for around 100 years now. It really is still a priceless and effective disinfectant, plus it keeps working entirely as much as your tap. However chlorine comes with an Achilles heel, water naturally contains organic matter and once this makes contact with chlorine the effect is disinfection by-products. These by-products can affect the fitness of your central nervous system, liver and kidneys.
Your child is incredibly vulnerable to anyone these contaminants so it’s a good idea to stop using tap water to create baby formula today. What you ought to do is get an effective water purifier. May I suggest a mixture of ixoqvx carbon filters, ion exchange, and sub micron filtration. This will assist remove of practically all the contaminants found in water. When possible, get yourself a whole house water system and ensure you make use of purified water for your baby’s needs. In this way, you can make sure that your baby stays safe and healthy.